Normally I’m really super behind with popular TV shows, I mean, I started watching Game Of Thrones at the start of season 4… But I’d heard about this show because it was all over Tumblr. It sounded a bit weird but pretty interesting so I decided to give it a go. The episodes went live on Netflix on June 5th and given how busy I’ve been with work recently I think a month and a half behind is pretty good going for me. It was only this Saturday just gone when I was fed up of there being absolutely nothing on TV that I thought I’d finally sit down and watch the pilot (ignoring all the advice Louise had given me of various different shows to start watching). Straight away I got right into it, the premise is fantastic and the acting is so gripping. By Monday I had already finished all 12 episodes. Ooops.
Sense8 is about a group of people who are all mentally linked and are being hunted, so they have to figure out what’s going on and work together to help each other out. The catch? They are scattered all over the world…
There are, naturally, 8 characters, and I think it’s very easy to start to develop favourites. I’ll tell you a bit about each of them in my personal ranking of favourites, and as always, I’ll stay spoiler free!
1) Will A police officer from Chicago, pretty much the main character if there was one character who was more main than the others. The first sensate we get to know. Also, Brian J Smith looks a little like Cory Monteith which helped grow that initial fondness.
2) Lito Action-film actor from Mexico. Struggling with a secret which could force him to make a difficult choice.
3) Sun Financial executive from Seoul. Working for her father’s business but amazing at martial arts.
4) Wolfgang “Locksmith”/safe-cracking extraordinaire from Berlin. Just trying to make a decent amount of money via heists along with his best friend Felix.
5) Capheus AKA Van Damn. Van driver from Nairobi. Starts the van business in order to earn money to pay for medicine to take care of his mother who is suffering with AIDS.
6) Kala Pharmacist from Mumbai. Engaged to a man she doesn’t love, and heavily involved with her religion, making regular trips to temple to pray to Ganesha.
7) Nomi Hacker from San Francisco. Avoiding undergoing an operation she doesn’t consent to by a shady doctor, with help from her girlfriend Amanita.
8) Riley DJ from Iceland, living in London. In a bit of trouble with people she knows, desperately wanting to go back to Iceland.
I’ve already recommended this show to countless people and I honestly couldn’t recommend it more, or enough. It’s one-of-a-kind, and it deserves every success. As it stands Netflix haven’t commented on its renewal for Season 2 but plenty of places seem to think that an announcement may come this week. We can hope!
Have you watched this show yet? Who’s your favourite character?!